Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Wife

Last night I had a dream that she and I were sitting down at a table…his wife and I. He was in the other room. She began talking about their relationship. I was thinking, “I just fucked him Monday.” I was waiting for her to confront me and then…I woke up.

In reality I did see her the other day. I wasn’t caught completely off guard. I was on her turf…shopping and visiting a friend. I didn’t see her at first and went about my business of shopping. My friend checked in with me here and there and we walked around together admiring the work of other artists. My friend left me so she could tend to her booth and then I saw her…the wife.  At first I wasn’t sure it was her but she mentioned her dogs. She had bags in each of her hands and she was having a conversation with a friend of hers. I wanted to hit her friend. The friend was talking about what a wonderful room mother she used to be when her kids were young and how everyone wanted her to be their room mother. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to add my two cents…but I didn’t. I stole glances of his wife as I thought to myself, “I just fucked your husband two days ago.” His wife looked over at me. She did not smile. I may have smiled a bit. She was not as pretty as her pictures. She was dowdy and somewhat boring. I went about my business and she left.


All I could think was how very natural it was to run into her and how ironic it was that after all these years this was the first time this had ever happened. I wondered for a moment how other mistresses would react and then I thought I acted exactly as I should have. I have neither right nor any desire to interfere in their life together. It was interesting to see her in person but nothing more.

No comments: